The Psychology Department at The Maryland School for the Blind (MSB) is dedicated to helping our students succeed academically, socially and emotionally.
Staffed by licensed psychologists and behavioral specialists, we serve our students who may be faced with mental health, cognitive, social/emotional and/or behavioral challenges (i.e. attention problems, learning disabilities, autism, deafness, cognitive limitations, etc.). Our focus is to enhance the educational experience for students.
Overall responsibilities include:
- Assessment and identification of cognitive, social/emotional and other challenges of mental health that can interfere with a student’s ability to learn.
- Development of treatment plans to maximize a student’s ability to engage in their educational program.
- Psychological counseling.
- Prevention and management of emotional and behavior crises.
- Design and implementation of behavior management programs.
- Help staff and families understand a student’s development and how it impacts learning and behavior.
- Consultation to staff and families, particularly as it relates to strategies useful in enhancing learning and behavior management.