Family Support Services
The Maryland School for the Blind’s Family Support Services’ goal is to provide support, information and resources on disabilities and community services for families of children with visual impairment.
Services are designed to:
- Inform families about available resources
- Build working relationships among families, schools and the community
- Provide learning opportunities through workshops and conferences
- Increase parent involvement
- Collaborate with other departments to develop parent support groups & activities
- Provide information through our Reaching Out newsletter
- Provide tours for families of potential students
- Assist parents/families with IEP meetings
- Loan books and videos to families from our lending library
The “Just for Parents” lending library includes books on:
- Early Childhood Development
- Family Topics
Workshops and Events
Transition Tuesdays are free webinars presented by MSB and community partners focusing on the transition process and resources available to students with visual impairments. These monthly webinars are live streamed on MSB’s UStream Channel http://www.ustream.tv/channel/maryland-school-for-the-blind for real time and future viewing.
Please visit our Outreach Events page for more information on Parent Workshops and Events offered by MSB
Check back for community events for families of children who are blind, visually impaired or multiply disabled.
Parent Support Groups
Parent support group meetings can be held on the MSB campus or regionally. Contact Renee Kirby, Parent Coordinator, if you are interested in organizing a group in your area.
The Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA) has announced a change for the Low Intensity Support Services (LISS) Random Selection Application Due Dates. You can find the DDA memo here: LISS Date Changes 4-20-17
Random Selection Applications received until June 30, 2017 will be placed in the random selection on July 15th. Please note that this date is one month earlier than applications are usually due. Random Selection Applications are received by mail or in person only. You can find an application here: Random Selection Application Form FY 16
Looking for gift ideas for children who are blind or have visual impairments? Visit http://www.familyconnect.org/info/after-the-diagnosis/helpful-products
National Tele-Support Network – the Lighthouse Guild provides a free national tele-support network for parents of children with visual impairments
For more information about Family Support Services contact:
Renee Kirby, Parent Coordinator
410.444.5000, ext. 1489 | email@example.com